Historic Courthouse
 
court

 

Historic Courthouse

Walk down the hallway and enter the swinging doors into the courtroom of yesteryear. This quiet sun-filled room, warm with the original golden oak furnishings, is a great place to sit quietly and reflect on our justice system of then and now. The Courthouse is hidden from view by the Hall of Records because the Hall of Records was built directly in front of the Courthouse. The Brick Classical Revival Courthouse was built by William Maloney in 1867, at a cost of $14,300.

The courthouse was in use for 99 years. Today the Courthouse is a walk-through museum with exhibits including the original Sheriff’s office, Law Library, Judge’s Chambers and the Courtroom where the famous stage coach robber, Black Bart, was tried.

 
Calaveras County Historical Society * All Rights Reserved * Web Services by Hstar.net