One of our newest displays at the Downtown Museum is the Double Springs Courthouse and Post Office. The Double Springs Courthouse was the first courthouse in Calaveras County, established in 1850. Double Springs served as the county seat for fourteen months before the county seat was moved to Jackson, Mokelumne Hill and finally to San Andreas.
The courthouse was constructed from a pre-fabricated camphor wood kit imported from China. After many years of exposure to the elements, this historic building was acquired by the Historical Society and carefully restored, a beautiful mural inside depicting what it may have looked like in its time.
Come and see the Double Springs Courthouse exhibit as well as the first Courthouse in San Andreas, built in 1867 and still used occasionally today.